Sunday, February 26, 2012

Lyle leaves early as Dyson has a dig.

Provided by 7DAYS.ae

MORE often than not the world's leading golfers make the game look so easy.But yesterday, during a horrid first morning at Royal Birkdale, some of them gave the rest of us hackers hope for the future.Former world No.1 Vijay Singh toiled along with former champion Sandy Lyle on what was virtually an unplayable layout as wind and rain battered theAa course, players and spectators.Lyle was the first to crack. By the time he had got to the 10th green, the 1985 champion had simply had enough as he succumbed to the lure of a hot shower after two hours of misery.The Scot had dropped seven shots in three holes to reach the half-way stage in 45, 11-over par. He managed to par the 10th but then decided to call an early end to his 33rd Open

"It's probably my shortest Open ever," said a miserable Lyle. "I got off to a miserable start and hit a couple of shots which rattled my fingers and they went a little numb. I just couldn't swing the club and I thought I was going to do myself more harm than good. It was best to call it a day."Two-time Major winner Singh was not having it anyAa easier and after crawling through his first 12 holes in 10-over par, he managed not to do any more damage as he signed for an 80.England's Simon Dyson had the biggest disaster of the day, running up a nine on the par four 10th on his way to an 82.

Dyson made his name on the Asian tour where he became adept at shooting under par in 90 percent humidity with temperatures in the mid-30s Celsius.And he said: "I wish I was back in Asia now."I do think it is a little bit unfair," he added. "That's no exaggeration. It's nearly unplayable. Put a four-handicapper on there and they'd probably shoot 100."

A[umlaut] 2007 Al Sidra Media LLC

Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company

No comments:

Post a Comment